Román Ortega-Cowan is a Martindale-Hubbell AV-Preeminent (peer review) and Platinum Client Champion (client review) rated attorney, who concentrates his practice on dispute resolution with an emphasis on complex trust & estates, commercial, and construction litigation and arbitration. He leverages his broad experience across federal, state, and international courts and arbitration forums to secure favorable results for his clients. Prior to moving back to his hometown of Vero Beach to raise a family, he practiced with the Miami office of an AmLaw 100 global law firm.
A member of the Florida Bar since 2003, he is also admitted to practice in New York and the District of Columbia, and before the US Supreme Court, the US Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals, and the US District Courts for the Northern, Middle, and Southern Districts of Florida. During law school, he served as Editor-in-Chief of Law Review and interned with United States District Judge, John Antoon II, of the Middle District of Florida.
A graduate of Saint Edward’s School, he grew up in Vero Beach and his family has resided in the region since 1979. He demonstrates his commitment to the community by proudly serving on the Board of Trustees of Saint Edward’s School and as General Counsel to Vero Beach Opera.
- Trust & Estates
- Represented a personal representative against an alleged intestate heir that reopened a closed probate after additional estate assets were discovered, and obtained full relief at trial.
- Represented an international bank trustee against a co-trustee and sole beneficiary concerning accounting and breaches of fiduciary duty claims, arising from alleged investment fraud.
- Represented a trust beneficiary domiciled overseas against a Florida-domiciled trustee concerning accounting and breaches of fiduciary duty claims, arising from the management of real property located in New York.
- Represented a national technology company in pre-suit negotiations with its joint venture partner concerning breaches of underlying contracts, avoiding the need for litigation.
- Represented a specialist physician against the purchaser of his medical services entity concerning breaches of the underlying asset purchase, employment, and real estate agreements.
- Represented a national fabrication and outfitting company against a former employee concerning the enforcement of employment, non-disclosure, and non-compete agreements.
- Represented high-end luxury home and condominium owners against design professionals, general contractors, and subcontractors concerning construction defect, lien, building code violation, and fraudulent transfer claims.
- Represented a national chain of organic grocery stores against a general contractor and related subcontractors concerning complex lien, construction defect, and breach of contract claims.
- Represented a concrete shell subcontractor against a developer, condominium association, general contractor, and approximately 20 subcontractors concerning complex construction defect and breach of contract claims related to a 200-unit condominium development.
- Represented a commercial landlord in defense of ADA claims brought by an individual who had filed similar claims against hundreds of other small business owners nationwide.
- Represented a health care conglomerate and its individual board members in a lawsuit concerning a so-called sovereign citizen’s acts of “paper terrorism”, including a fraudulent lien of $100 million, securing permanent injunctive and related relief.
- Represented a European multinational infrastructure conglomerate in an Investor-State dispute with a Latin American nation, involving extensive Spanish-language bilateral investment treaty analysis and simultaneous claims pursued under the rules promulgated by ICSID (World Bank), the local project-site national court jurisdiction, and the local project-site Chamber of Commerce arbitration body.
- J.D., FSU College of Law
- Cum Laude, Top 15% of Class
- Editor-in-Chief of Law Review
- Intern, Hon. John Antoon II, US District Court, Middle District of Florida
- B.A., Boston College
- Double Major: Economics & Philosophy
- Dean’s List
- State Admissions
- District of Columbia
- New York
- Federal Admissions
- US Supreme Court
- US 11th Circuit Court of Appeals
- US District Court, Northern District of Florida
- US District Court, Middle District of Florida
- US District Court, Southern District of Florida
Awards & Recognitions:
- AV-Preeminent Rated by Martindale-Hubbell (Peer Review)
- Client Champion – Platinum Rated by Martindale-Hubbell (Client Review)
- Saint Edward’s School
- Board of Trustees
- Chair of Governance Committee
- Vero Beach Opera
- General Counsel